Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Resources and Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagstirling

Computer
Feb 11, 2009
Looking for some MS Project guidance.

I am running a project and have 8 IT consultants (all charged out at the same rate) covering different functional areas of a piece of software.

My question is;

Should I create 8 different resources or one resource with 8 units.

Creating 8 resources is a nightmare because I have to add each one to each task. Creating one resource with 8 units would be easier but would I lose out on anything ?

Any tips welcome.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Seems to me that it's up to you to decide whether the resource specificity is important.

If all you care about is you have 8 pawns in the game, then you don't care. If you want to make sure that pawn5 is working on a specific project, then you do care.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Create 8.

As you move forward in working with MS Project, you will find this was the best choice. Here is why:
1. You will find that not all 8 resources will work on the same tasks.
2. If all 8 resources do work on the same task, they will certainly not all contribute the same amount of effort.

And just so you know, it is pretty simple to assign multiple resources to a task. Click on the task. Click on >Tools, >Assign Resources. Select the first resource, hold down on your shift key and select the last resource. Now click on Assign.

Hope this helps!

J Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back