Resources/books for damage mechanisms in pump components ?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mech5656

Mechanical
Aug 2, 2014
US
Dear Engineers,

I am looking to educate myself on damage mechanisms (and material selection) found in pump components used in services like hydrocarbons, refinery applications, city water districts, sea water applications, boiler feed service etc. Here is an example of post related to this.

Can you please suggest some reading materials and books on this topic? Perhaps something that has worked really well for you and you use it on daily basis for reference at your job. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

API 571, API 581, API 610 ann. G, API 939-D
ISO 15156, ISO 21457, ISO 17348, ISO 17349, ISO 17945, ISO 16784, ISO 23936,
NACE MR0103, NACE MR0175, NACE SP0403,
During's Corrosion Atlas, NACE Corrosion Engineer's Reference Book, Sheir's Corrosion, ASM Handbook vol. 13, Bloch's Pumps User Handbook table 13-2, Karassik's Pump Handbook chap. 8,
and references in those

Corrosion mechanisms, material selection and details service life have no simple guide to be put in a table/curve. It is subject to a comprehensive study. See NACE SP0407 for details.

One human life would not be enough to consider oneself confidence in optimum materials selection.

Dear shvet,

Thank you for replying to this post. Your provided resources look very helpful and detailed. I only had API 610 & Karassik's Pump Handbook chapter 8. I have saved the rest and looking forward to read them. Thanks again!

Hello shvet,

I wanted to share the reason for why I am asking. My goal is to be able to identify the type of damage mechanism in pump components and identify the root cause. I will really appreciate your advice.

Also, it will be nice to learn ways to identify which damage mechanism is which. For example, pitting vs MIC? Abrasive vs regular corrosion, etc etc

Here are few examples of damage mechanisms (I have seen in pumps) and we can discuss deeper on what actually happened here.

CA6NM SST material impeller used in waste water service (Vanes damage).
DSC07224_hxxtxz.jpg

Cast Iron Class 30 vertical turbine pump "bowl" used in waste water pump (vanes damage)
DSC07234_exoudd.jpg

410 SST shaft damage on throttle sleeve fit in boiler feed water service (280 F).
IMG_1059_u6y3db.jpg

410 SST throttle sleeve (high pressure side) found broken upon disassembly in same boiler feed pump.
DSC01581_sofabc.jpg

EPRI has invested a lot of effort and money into gathering/summarizing knowledge about components used in power plants, including pumps and motors. In the old days all of their documents were only available to EPRI members (or it cost you about two fingers and three toes and maybe an eyeball for non-EPRI members). Now many of these are free (or at the cost of coughing up your email). It might not be exactly what you're looking for but if you take the time to look through these, I think you'll find a lot of good relevant info about pump degradation buried in them (at least for the types of pumps used in power plants)

[ul]
[li]Pump Troubleshooting: Volume 1[/li]
[li]Pump Troubleshooting, Volume 2: TR-114612, Volume 2[/li]
[li]Nuclear Maintenance Applications Center: Vertical Pump Maintenance Guide -- Update to EPRI Report 1003467[/li]
[li]Horizontal End Suction Pump Maintenance Guide[/li]
[/ul]

These are just the first four that I found googling epri free pump documents. There are more.

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

@Mech5656
It would be better to post this kind of issues in Corrosion forum

Foto #1 - looks like damage caused by a foreign piece. I saw similar damage when bricks got to suction line.
Foto #2 - looks like cavities caused by lacking of NPSHA. See fotos in para 2.86 Karassik's Pump Handbook or another relevant source.
Foto #3&4 - I'm a process engineer, better ask a mechanical engineer.

electricpete:
Thank you for providing these resources. Not only they have material details but also detailed pump construction and related topics. I will be reading and understanding them.

shvet:
Thank you for replying and providing your feedback. Can you comment on damage mechanism below also?

Throat bushings used on low pressure side of axial split boiler feed pump

IMG_1004_itcxrp.jpg

Mech5656 said:
Can you comment on damage mechanism below also? Throat bushings used on low pressure side of axial split boiler feed pump
Unknown. I would name it pitting corrosion caused by local acid/alkali accumulation. Repost on Corrosion forum.

shvet :

Thanks for replying. I have reported and asked the admin to move this post to "Corrosion Forum". Hopefully it will happen soon.

Also, can you comment on these damage marks on pump cover/head. Looks like extreme abrasive particle attack. Sorry for putting too many pictures. I am looking into past folders and checking out different damage mechanisms.

IMG_1127_lmgee3.jpg

IMG_1128_f8ctna.jpg

Shvet,

Thank you for your response. The post has been moved to "corrosion" forum.

Dear All,
I am planning to make this post a continuous discussion. I will really appreciate if you can please share info on identification of damage types in pump components? Is there a recourse (online website or physical book) that shows the name of damage mechanism, possible cause for it and pictures showing that damage (so it can be identified by looking). For example, how can you tell which one is MIC corrosion VS pitting corrosion, etc etc

Mech5656,

If you are dealing with BFP they are most likely pitting corrosion which is the result of working under cavitating conditions in the suction side unless they are from manufacture. First you need to check the NPSHA vs NPSCR. Check the pump curve, and get some more information from the process on pressures and elevations to compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back