Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Resources (Books, Websites, PDF files, etc) needed to be a good Engineer at Pump manufacturer QRC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechGuy87

Mechanical
Jun 17, 2016
US
Hello Dear Engineers,
I recently started working as an Engineer, at a Quick response center of a big company that designs and manufactures pumps for oil and gas companies (like chevron, Valero, Tesoro, water districts, etc). We receive different types of pumps here, disassemble, clean, inspect and then recommend what our customers should do. It will either be repair, use the way it is after we clean it, buy a new pump, or upgrade the pump with some new parts. I don't have any past experience with pumps so I am a little struggling.

The main challenge for me is to recommend the customer what to do (use the way it is, repair, upgrade or buy a new pump). Here are the things I need help with

1)What are the processes for the repairing of impellers, shafts, bearings, couplings, mechanical seals, ball bearings, etc etc.
Like send it for spray a layer of oxide, etc??
2)In what condition, we need to buy a new part?

With the experience you have, can you please suggest me any book, link or other resource that I can use to learn the above mentioned things.
What will be your advice to me in this case?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you tried going down to the shop floor and talking to the guys who actually do some of the work?
Likewise spend a bit of time working with those guys. Particularly if you have some old ornery guy who has been there for years and hates young punks who don't know anything telling him how things should be done. Fair chance he will know what you need to know, you just have to convince him that you want to learn.

Regards
Ashtree
"Any water can be made potable if you filter it through enough money"

I agree 100% with Ashtree, get onto the shop floor and get you little hands dirty,talk to the guys who do it,watch what's being done and why it's done that way, ask questions why where when etc. get friendly with these people, they can teach you a lot more than any book.
Ask your boss if you can visit some of the end users using your pumps, again talk to the people actually using and maintaining the equipment- you will be surprised what knowledge there is to gain from end users - listen to any criticism of the equipment and learn from it.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

There is no substitute for experience.

Request that you work in the shop for 3-4 months to obtain the experience.

I started in vaguely similar situation (on motors, not pumps) with no hands-on experience and wanting to catch up fast. You're doing good by looking for relevant publications. When you find them, save them in an organized fashion so you can refer back to them. Also build your own notes as you study those references. Seek out people that have the type of knowledge you want to gain and cultivate their friendship/assistance.

Here's another thing. When you face a challenging situation on a specific pump, take photos and post them with your thoughts/questions on a forum like this (with names of customers hidden). People tend to engage much more easily on specific cases than broad generalities. You will often find many different angles to look at the same problem. Then as you work through the problem post the results. The thread may end up being something of a mini case study that you can refer back to.

)What are the processes for the repairing of ... shafts, bearings...
Just to get started touching the subject of shaft repair.
Shafts sometimes require straightening (if TIR is too large).
Shafts sometimes require buildup… there is a choice of processes. Rather than picking a process at random, look at what processes your shop offers or a local shop you trust offers.
When does shaft require buildup? If the seat for a rolling bearing has worn such that satisfactory fit is no longoer attainable. Look at bearing manufacturer's catalog and familiarize yourself with fit requirements. Similar may apply to the seat where impeller sits but I'm less familiar with that.

Rolling bearings - usually replaced instead of repaired unless they are very large (expensive).

Also customer's specifications may have some clues about what types of repairs are required or acceptable.

By writing four or five sentences about repair, I am not saying this comes close to answering anything.

2)In what condition, we need to buy a new part?
Try to think through the cost of repair vs cost of new part; lead time of repair vs new part, and most importantly reliability of repair vs reliability of new part.
As a customer receiving a repair shops's recommendation, my questions will always fall along those lines.

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back