Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Resources for example P&ID's to learn from 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aegis4048

Petroleum
Apr 23, 2024
US
Hi, I'm curious if there's any free example P&IDs of any real facilities to learn from (I'm not looking for a class or a book). I have one pretty thorough company internal P&ID from one of our clients that I can learn from, but that's it. I am tasked with designing a P&ID for an existing oil and gas well site and would like to get more real-life examples if possible. I've found some bits and pieces of P&ID available on internet, but none of them are really thorough & detailed. I'm not sure if these are even possible to obtain since I would assume that no client would want his facility P&ID floating on the internet... but I would like to test my luck here. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only thing that a P&ID does is reflect the design and operation of a system. What exactly are you looking for - a design or a drawing?

@shvet

The oil and gas facility of my interest already exists, its just that my customers don't have the facility schematic diagram, and they want P&ID version of it. So I would say I'm more in need of an actual drawing (like PDF or PNG) then a design.

Which one standard is pplicable: PIP PIC001, ANSI/ISA-5.1, ISO 10628, ISO 14084, ISO 14617, ISO 15519? Or company's proprietary one?

As a consulting engineer, I have P&ID's from a variety of large companies and they all have different formatting preferences. Choose a standard for labeling the instrument bubbles, but after that you're on your own. A lot depends on how much information you choose to "cram" into an individual drawing. They can get cluttered really fast if you have a lot of things going on. There is also debate whether to include process parameters on the P&ID (e.g. pump flow rates, operating pressures, etc.). At least one client wants me to show wiring from instruments to PLC, which is not typical. As long as your customer doesn't care, keep it as simple and clean as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back