Responsibilities of Module assembler / Module supplier in BMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucas_S

Automotive
Aug 30, 2020
DE
Dear forum,

this is my first post and I'm glad I found this forum. I'm no technical EV battery expert, but I guess here are some people who can help me with the following.

In the battery value chain from cell producer to module assemblers to pack assemblers, I can see many companies delivering not only the cells but complete modules to large OEMs (e.g. cell suppliers like CATL or specialized module assemblers). The question for me relates to especially the BMS: Who is responsible for which parts?

- Is the module assembler responsible for the cell monitoring units (CMUs) and module management units (MMUs)? Is the OEM then responsible for the master controlling unit of the BMS?
- Does this work independently from the PMU / "Master BMS"?
- Hows is the integration ensured?

In my understanding, the stakeholder assembling the cells into modules must already be responsible for parts of the BMS.

Many thanks and looking forward to your explanations!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is still a new and fluid field. There are no rules as to which provider is responsible. The battery systems are not all designed the same. These systems are all typically contracted and during this areas of responsibilities are defined. The only generality is the that the seller of the entire system is usually responsible for servicing, repair, and warranties.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back