Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

restless - where to go and what to do 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzdoug

Mechanical
Jul 22, 2003
US
mainly just venting, but feel free to comment...

i just turned 33 and i'm a huge geek.
I have a BS in Engineering Physics.
I love doing FEA and design work.

i tend to follow my gut and never really had a plan or guided on any particular path. (ADHD? =b)
the other engineers i've worked with seem very...vanilla.
i can't talk to them and they look intimidated/confused when i try to talk to them.
i've tried some ME/MS programs, but i can't seem to stick to anything.
(Systems Engineering, Engineering Mechanics)
I feel like I need a masters to remain competitive and keep my edge.
It really bothers me that I don't have an "engineering accredited" degree.
Sometimes it's really a pain to have to explain what my degree is when I interview.
I've considered a PE, but tend to see less and less value in it.

I've toyed with the idea of just getting a ME/MS in Mechanical.
I love what I do, but the commute and pay is crap.
The company is also not doing so well.
layoffs and people quiting are adding a lot of stress.
it's pretty hostile as well.
I've looked for years, but I can't seem to get hired elsewhere.
i feel stuck and frustrated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Assuming you are in the US, since you mentioned "PE", you will need to have an accredited degree in order to take the exam. Given that, an ME/MS would make a lot of sense.

You seem to think the PE has no value. It will open a lot of doors that currently are closed to you, including being able to provide engineering services on your own. I would encourage it.

Any good at software? I was in my late 20's when I made that move.

Or if you like rapid project turnover and a steep learning curve, work for an engine consulting company. There are plenty of them any they seem recession-proof.

- Steve

Your degree in engineering physics suggests that you may have an interest in physics. By remaining in engineering you might be trying to fit into the wrong area. If engineers seem too vanilla to you, obtaining a PE is only going to give you additional mainstream credentials. Don't spend a career in a field where you don't want to be.

i love engineering AND physics.

what i mean by vanilla is boring, complacent and lacking passion.

i think what i mainly want to do is engineering analysis independently. (someday)

Solidworks
APDL Coding (Ansys)
Alloy and Plastic Parts Design
Seal Design
Assemblies
Machine Design
Mechanics
Materials
Vibration
CFD (need more experience)
Moldflow
Linear and Non-Linear
Hyperelastic
Non-Linear Contacts
Failure Theory (Yield, Fracture, Fatigue)
etc.

Based on your list of interests you may want to pursue a BS in ME. That, combined with your engineering physics degree, would make your more employable. An MS may be better to a select few employers but I question whether it would be worth the effort to get one over just a BS.

Be cautious regarding a PE license. If you can get one without much effort (is that even possible?) then go for it, but its value really only applies if you are working in construction related fields. Your interests seem to lie in product design, materials, and research. In my experience these fields would not place any extra value on a PE.

Years of jumping through hoops can destroy passion. The high cost of failure and low cost of good enough can breed complacency.

Sounds like you'd do well as a consultant. Find one, ask how they got there.

Is a BS in Engineering Physics a BS in Engineering at all? I haven't heard of that one before that's why I ask.

If you don't like what you do, you should go do something different. Even something as simple as pursue another job needing any type of math related background.

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil and Structural Engineering

For the PE, I would go for it just so you have some credentials in Engineering. Just having your name with PE behind it may dispel any questions of your degree. As for what to do, it seems you’re more into analysis than nuts and bolts design. Have you thought about coupling with testing? Have you worked with shakers and drop/hammer machines? Know how to decipher test data or how to break down test data to a specification? This is a great way to correlate with your analysis.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."
“Luck is where preparation meets opportunity”

@Twoballcane

i've actually been validating test data and astm specifications to determine a good material model fit for non-linear materials for some time. for the past few years i've assigned myself the task of increasing our "virtual prototyping" capability by comparing models to physical tests. for example, currently i am working on using a contact debonding formulation for determining fracture of plastic part weld lines. (in ansys)

Cool! Have you published any of your work or present them in symposiums? I’ve been doing a lot of internal symposiums just because of the sensitivity of the projects I work on, but if your company would like to show case their product in an engineering or scientific community at large, maybe you can push to have your company fund you in this endeavor.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."
“Luck is where preparation meets opportunity”

@ Twoballcane

I never have presented my work, other than just internal reports.

This week I plan on having a peer discussion about the ansys model for evaluating plastic designs using contact debonding w/ fracture energies/toughness.

Later i'll probably look at generalizing it and apply it to something non-proprietary.
I still have a lot to do in terms of calibrating and validating.
(yay! breaking stuff!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back