Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restraints

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris456s

Structural
Feb 2, 2017
SG
I have a long bend.
Not a standard elbow, but a 3000mm radius curved pipe
I need to put a pipe support on the curve. When a try to beak the element at the correct location for the support, the resulting elements are wrong. One element becomes straight and the curved other element becomes twisted.
how to beak a curved element in such a way as retain the curve in both resulting elements?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Either I don't understand your response or your don't the question.
Your suggestion work only if the restraint is intended to be in the middle of the curve.

Imagine a 3m radius curve spanning 90 degrees.
I want to put a restraint at 10 degrees.
But there is no node at 10 degrees
If I do like you say (put the restraint at the middle node), then the restraint is not in the correct location.
Putting a node at 10 degrees would break the curve and cause it to be twisted

Are you saying that there is a way to move the middle node to the correct location for the constraint?

Realistically I'd doubt there's any difference between a support at the middle of the bend vs at 10 degrees. You'd have to ask Hexagon/Caesar support

yeah, My company doesn't want to pay for support so I cant call hexagon. We do very little piping.
Yes, there is a huge difference in supporting at 10 degs and 45 degs. The distances for moments are very different and (even with freed moments at the fixture) results in vastly different distribution of transnational reactions on the supports. This has been shown with hand calcs and structural ansys simulations. The location of this support makes a significant difference.
Thanks anyway

9 off 10 degree bends connected to each other?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

thank, I have multiple bends connected to each to make this work. Only tiny issue remains, they seem to work but do not display correctly in iso export

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back