Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Results error in choosing plain stress strain thickness

Status
Not open for further replies.

abc123ali

Mechanical
Nov 6, 2023
HK
Respected Users, I am choosing the different plain-stress strain thickness which is not affecting my output reults. There is no effecet seen by changing the plain stress-strain thickness. Also I need to make clear why the term plain stress-strain thickness is used together what it actually refers to. I need to get more yield strength having more yield surface for thin plates compared to thick one which I fail to achieve!
Thanks for cooperation

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Plane stress/strain thickness affects only those results that actually depend on this dimension. So you can analyze a 3D model with different thicknesses and see what changes and what doesn’t change.

Actually I am analyzing 3d model but changing the thickness in the section manager option for plane stress-strain thickness option and not in the part module which has no effect by changing the thickness to output results. So what should I do; May I change thickess in the part module? My model in 3d. What should be the plane-stress strain thickness to be workable or correct. May we calculate it experimentally or abaqus can judge it? Here is attached inp file.
Thanks

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=a6669a43-707c-4bd1-b136-99ceb5fad261&file=Job-7.inp
The plane stress/strain thickness is only relevant in the case of plane stress/strain models. For 3D models it’s simply ignored by the solver.

I am not clear that how to execute the plane stress-strain model then; just by putting the value in the section manager in property module or what or by making geometry 2d and then assigning this value. But if 3d models are considered may I take geometry with different thickness to execute it. Plain strain case belongs to thick sheets: may it be 3d?
Thanks for cooperation

If you want to perform a plane stress/strain analysis, you have to prepare a 2D geometry lying in the XY plane (just select a 2D Planar modeling space when creating a part), assign a solid section with a given thickness to it and assign a proper element type (there you can choose between plane stress and strain).

Respectd Users, I just tried to make the 2d geometry using 2d planar space modeling in the part module and assisgned a solid section with thickness but as I want to apply a tie constrain using master and slave surface in which the binder when selected once to tie with plates then this is considered as overall selected from both sides and there is no option to connect it with the other plate simply nodes are repetedly used. Kindly assist me this problem. . Also this is very difficult to apply shear load to 2d planar sheet. When I tried to make 2d planar binder with 3d plates then instances were not created due to difference in dimensions in assembly module. Is there any way to work both 2d and 3d gemetry for a single model or assembly with both 2d and 3d? Here is an error attached
Thanks

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=7a204ff8-b9e1-4abd-aafe-3366682e432c&file=ee.JPG
Respected FEA way and other users, for the previous issue in discussion, Here I have attached the cae file for which applying surface tie interaction is a problem. Is it possible to tie the binder from both sides to each plate with one facing side to binder to sandwitch between and then proceed for plane stress strain model. Is it possible to work with binder in 2d to apply plain stress-strain and 3d for plates and then create instances; which are also not being created due to dimensionality difference if the model is made in both 2d and 3d.
Thanks

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=5ce7a827-731a-416c-bf8c-45efae033527&file=caeplst1.cae
Respected User, Offcourse there must be no error but what I asked is that I just apply tie contraint to the edges and not the surface which is helping in doing the tension test well but not the shearbehaviour as I explained which I need. How to perform it?
Thanks

Check the examples in the Verification guide in Abaqus documentation. Some involve shear, also with 2D elements. This may give you a hint about boundary conditions. Interactions are a different issue but the choice is basically between tie constraints and contact (several types of behavior available), depending on how those parts are supposed to be connected in real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back