Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retaining wall from off or precast jersey barrier etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cburke

Geotechnical
Oct 7, 2023
US
I wanted to see if any of you have come across an inexpensive retaining wall option. This is in south louisiana for residential construction. The retaining wall is intended to go around the perimeter of the lot on the property line. Common practice is to install fence posts and dig a trench and go an equal distance below grade as formed above reinforced using rebar (12” wall above must have 12” wall below total 24” wall). These are poured walls that are labor intense and require concrete pumping and lots of lumber to form. I often see them crack or sink over time as they are being used in south Louisiana. Local codes don’t allow holes to drain because you arent allowed to drain on neighboring properties. Many of the walls are between 12” and 36” high above grade and as 60” in extreme cases. I have been looking at icf for form on poured walls but that still requires pumping. I have also looked at precast interlocking blocks including those that are smaller up to the larger style lego blocks. They also have L shape precast retaining walls. I also have looked at jersey barriers that can be found fairly cheap and similar forms Inc a have made and precast them myself. I guess I’m checking to see thoughts and ideas where maybe a tier or terraced precast item can be used and best method that would save on labor and cost. In all cases I expect geo grid, gravel and pvc drains will have to be used to alleviate water pressure. So in either case of Jersey barrier or non blocks will they work, what type of foundation is best to place them on and in case of a 60” wall how far apart would the inside barrier have to be placed from the outside barrier wall to use them to gain a 60” height above adjacent grade?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This needs analysis and design. If you can't do it, hire an engineer.
When I hear inexpensive, I think of segmental blocks like Keystone. They'll provide standard designs for short walls and engineered designs for taller ones. But I'm thinking that's not in your realm of inexpensive.

Keystone is not bad but expensive for rental houses and an i dist risk project I have coming up. Over tired local engineers and couldn’t find anyone to take on smaller projects or residential. Here the larger firms seems to handle it and only deal with huge flood wall type stuff from their websites and calling. Not to violate the rules but is anyone can refer someone in the New Orleans area I have to have stamped design for some of it anyway.

Sorry dude. I feel your pain. Maybe if you reach out to your local Structural Engineers Society there's some retired guy (or girl) to take this on. Or someone as a side project. But you have to understand that these types of projects are lawsuit magnets, and no one wants to risk their license or money for very little payoff.
I lived in Baton Rouge for a short time (worked at the nuclear power plant) and had a lot of fun there. But I quit that job and the permanent traveling.

I think Civil Design in Bloomington, Minnesota does (I mean design) work like this throughout the country. Or they may know of another firm that's closer to y'all. I haven't used them or know them personally.

What you are describing is similar to the "tench footings" I've seen proposed in Ohio. Mind, those are for loadbearing walls, not retaining walls.

Regards,
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back