Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retention time for 3 phase separation in horizontal separators

Status
Not open for further replies.

engr2GW

Petroleum
Nov 7, 2010
US
Hi,

can anyone help with the equation/chart or tool used for estimating the residence time for separation of oil and water in a 3 phase separator, for standard sizes, e.g. 36"x10' horizontal 3 phase separators...?

Thanks a lot.

As much as possible, do it right the first time...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you already know the size of the separator (and the weir height etc. then you will find the residence time by deviding the volume in the sep. by the volume flow of the phae.

But i suspect that what you are looking for is the required size - not the given? API and GPSA has guidelines. I think its API 12J but i dont have the std. here for checking. The equations are generally relating to Navier Stokes law re. terminal settling velocity.

Best regards

Morten

Morten,
Are you sure the equations relate to "Navier Stokes" not "Stokes Law"? Navier Stokes has zero practical applications as postulated. People have carved off pieces and assumed stuff out of existence as special cases that have been amazingly useful, but the basic Navier Stokes equation is pretty non-practical.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Belief" is the acceptance of an hypotheses in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.

Got me David :) I didt find the refernces myself and may remember incorrectly. The part about the terminal (or ultimate?) Setteling velocity of water (or oil) droplets in oil (or water), that im fairly certain of.

But i seem to recall that Campbell also states some "good starting point"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back