Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retexturing Concrete Pavement

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigH

Geotechnical
Dec 1, 2002
TJ
Just a short one - what is the best way of retexturing the tyning in a concrete pavement slab. We will be grinding a few slabs due to surface tolerances and will need to retexture. Any help appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Typically the slabs are rough following the grinding and just left in that condition. I guess you could required the contractor to saw cut groves into the pavement for a more even apperence.

What is "tyning"? If roughening, after years of scabbling concrete with various bush hammers I finally found that concrete planes (with rotating excentric cutting tips) are the way to go for large flat surfaces.

Zambo

Zambo - tyning (perhaps tining in US) is where you "rake" small grooves with a wire brush in the pavement surface immediately after laying, striking off and final finishing - gives a "rough" surface - grooves are typically specified to average about 1mm in depth. Almost always done transversely although I have heard of longitudinal tyning. Thanks for info - maybe a plane (if we can find one here) will put the "grooves" or roughness back in.
[cheers] and thanks!

If it is on a roadway, After grinding it is usually "grooved" using a machine which has multiple cutting discs. If it's not on a roadway it can be "wet grinded" which is a process where you slowly gring the surface to a slurry then apply a broom finish.However, that can be a slow time consuming process.

Grooving as comav described is commonly done to replicate wet finish tyning. Obviously more expensive, but achieves the same effect.

Thanks to all [cook][cook][cook]- can you give a bit of a description of the grinder you use (name, make, etc.) Just would help out to see if they have it here in West Bengal.
[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back