Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retrieving Wrong Vonmisses Stress data for an Element in ABAQUS Using a macro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sri Harsha

Aerospace
Jun 16, 2017
DE
Hi,

I am trying to load my ODB File and then trying to retrieve Vonmisses stress data for a particular element
I basically have a set named 'DISP_END_SET'.I am getting the set Object from Assembly .

Here is my macro:

odb = session.openOdb(name= 'H:\\MiniThessis\\MaterialModelling\\Job-4.odb')
Stress = odb.steps['Step-1'].frames[1].fieldOutputs['S']
assembly = odb.rootAssembly
elsetName = 'DISP_END_SET'
elemset = assembly.elementSets[elsetName]
SetStresses = Stress.getSubset(region=elemset)
Stress1 = SetStresses.values[400].data
print(Stress1)

When,I am printing this Stress1,I am getting an array of 6 Values.But Should n't I get 8 values instead of 6, if my element comprises of 8 nodes?
Also,I want to retrieve VonMisses Stress data.In the macro above,I have no where defined that I want to get the data of "Von Misses".

Could you please let me know the changes to be made in my code.

Thanks in Advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are a couple of things you should think about:

- Mises stress is not written by default in the odb by the solver. But you can request that. Otherwise A/CAE calculates that, when you open the odb. But then it is a session variable and still not saved on the odb by default.

- Stresses are calculated and written by default at the integration point, not nodes. But you can request from the solver, that the stresses should be extrapolated and stored at the nodes. You can also request, that they are directly averaged there.

- The stress tensor has 6 components. I guess you are having a C3D8R element (= 8 nodes, 1 integration point) and these are the 6 data you are getting.

Overall, check out the Scripting Users Manual and especially the examples in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back