Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retro-fitting regulators

Status
Not open for further replies.

fab3

Industrial
Dec 4, 2008
US
I am looking to replace the regulators for my assist gas system, so the shop can clean cut stainless steel. The current SMC regulators only push out a maximum of 8 bars and i would like to see 20 bars. I can't find anything from SMC besides what I already have and other internet sites offer no help with high pressure. I am running a mazak with a 1500 watt PRC resonator. If possible I would like to clean cut 1/4" stainless. (PRC claims this is possible with 1500W) Any help with the regulators would be appreciated, also please let me know if the 1/4" is a reasonable thought.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1500 watts.... that's going to be challenging. It is not going to be very fast. And, your going to have to watch it closely.

For a while there PRC was doing an up grade to that style laser. They added bigger heat exchangers and a different turbo and got 2000 watts pretty consistently. There is a guy named Mark that works on a ton of PRC's. I believe he is in the MSP area.
When i get a chance, i'll look to see what type of regulators Amada uses. I know they go up to 2 MPa.

I agree, 1/4 clean cut with 1500 watts isn't easy, your machine better be in good shape as you're getting ready to make all it's weakest links go running home to mommy.

As for the assist gas, what are you going to use to supply the assist gas? 12 packs, liquid tanks? How many regulators are in the current configuration? Most systems have 2 regulators, one to control pre-pressure and then another, possibly electrically controlled regulator to set the desired pressure for the specific application.

Chris Krug

More than likely we would use liquid tanks. The assist gas system has two regulators, one for piercing and one for cutting. Both are set manually with hand knobs. I thought the 1/4" would be a long shot, the shop doesn't have a huge demand for it anyways. As long as I can cut a least 10ga. and thinner a possible retro-fit would be worth it.

In the UK we use BOC single stage high pressure regulator. Max outlet pressure is 26 Bar. Item number is 41559.
Hope this is of some use for you.....

PS, don't forget to take lens thickness into consideration as well as the pressure rating of all the hose and fittings used to supply assist gas to the cutting head. Make sure the cutting head is able to withstand the increased pressure as well.

Chris Krug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back