Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RETROFIT NO-TOUCH HEAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

QSF

Industrial
Jan 10, 2003
US
HAS ANYONE RETROFITTED A NON-CONTACT HEAD ON THEIR LASER? IF SO I WOULD LIKE ANY ADVICE OR COMMENTS THAT YOU COULD GIVE ME TO HELP MY DECISION. WE HAVE A MAZAK STX-510 WITH A 1500W RESONATOR AND ARE LOOKING TO PUT THE NON-CONTACT HEAD(PRECITEC CONTROLLED) WITH THE CARTRIDGE STYLE LENS HOLDER, CRASH PROTECTION (MAGNETIC) AND HIGH PRESSURE PIERCE(30BAR).

THANKS

Gary L. Ellis Jr.
Quality Steel Fabrication
Sidney, OH
gellis@woh.rr.com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Gary,

We use Precitec's M1.5 DXN style heads at our shop, and we are also looking to upgrade to a HP 2" M (Z). More people tend to be moving towards the cartridge style lens holders for convenience. With any upgrade or retro-fit you will probably be the most concerned with how well the upgrade will meet your needs. If you are doing any five axis work or formed part trimming you may not be happy with a 2D head like the HP 2" M (Z). Also watch out for hidden problems, for instance, a longer head may reduce the overall amount of Z stroke on your machine. This is not really a big concern on flat sheet cutters, but if you have a fixed rotary axis this upgrade could reduce the maximum work volume significantly. Other major factors could be price and spare parts availability. You should check out Precitec's web site for more details on their products.

Good Luck,
Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back