Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retrofit of Ex. CI pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

sant007

Civil/Environmental
Jul 13, 2005
US
Hello all:

We have 16" CI buried pipe and we are proposing new valve along with some other piping modification. All new piping will be DIP.

I have question about piping outside the valve vault. What is the best way to connect existing 16" CI with new 16" DI pipe. I can not use Mega Lug on 16" CI pipe which will be field cut and would be plain end (mega lug on CI is not recommended, is I am not wrong)

Can any one suggest me best way to retrofit Ex. CI with New DI pipe

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have used mega lugs on CI pipe without problems, not sure about a cut end 16" CI exactly but for sure bigger and smaller, not sure of the engineering but i know it works.

Flanged DI pipe and a uni flange/bell joint would probably be your best bet to restraint the joints. just cut off what you need from the flanged bell end,

most CI pipe is the same as DI but there was some pit cast made that had slightly larger diameter, only way around it is to grind the inside casting seems and defects on the fitting

you could also use a riser clamps and all thread but you will have to make sure it is anchored at some point such as thru the vault, or to an massive concrete kicker (anchor) under pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back