Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reverse loft? A for me unsolvable problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

relique

Industrial
Jun 13, 2013
NL
ono4dayhh
loft_problem.jpg
[/url]]
ono4dayhh

Hi,

I have a problem with creating a shape, which is very easy on paper, but on Solidworks i just can't find the solution for.
I want to create a hexagonial shape like cilinder, with a specified length, but the width varies.
In the picture that i posted along with this thread, is the shape i want, but i want the -inside- , the part that is now cut away. and what is now matter, has to be cut away.

With the loft feature i can only define one curved side, but the shape just gets that wiggle on one side "the center moves along".
I tried it by creating the curved shape first and than go for the hexagonial, but now i'm stuck.

I probably use the wrong methods for creating this form the right and easy way.

I hope one of you knows the awnser of a better solution for creating it,

thanks in advance

Peter

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not sure if I understand what you are talking about exactly.
But I think your problem is that you are using the Solid Loft command. You might want to try and use the Surface Loft and other surface tools as needed to create the inside or outside surface, knit them all together and then thicken that surface.

-Joe
SolidWorks 2011 x64 SP 4 on Windows XP x64
8 GB RAM - Nvidia Quadro FX1700

yes it does matter, that is what complicates it.
I have one defined curve(line). But i can't copy that line along the six points, to get the exact same curves.
that's why i tried a revolve first and than copy the curve lines alng the points, through planes and the "intersection curve" command.
with this as result when i tried to loft cut it.

It is hard to explain through text i must say.
>>Martin, i didn't check out the picture you send with your post until after i commented.
But it actually looks like how i want it to be. But what are your start and end constraint to get something like that?
And did you draw those lines one bij one (the curved line between the heganons), cause that is actually my main problem. Not being able to copy the curves allong all the six points, while it still being a sketch.
Than i would be able to loft it easily.

I've been bussy with this for hours. But i must say i'm not good at Solidworks at all.

The image i added, shows how i wanted and got it after deleting the lost. but this causes a lot of rebuilt errors
obdmmn443
bench_curved_lines.jpg
[/url]]

Oh and to Tristram. I think the surface tools won't help because the part actually has to be solid. You ment creating one of the curved sides, copy it 6 times, and knit it together?

relique -

What version of solidworks are you running? If its SW2013 I could post the file I created so you could see a couple different ways that I made the loft.

Thank you guys for al the responces and help.
I finally was able to create the shape, though i used the thin feature in the lofted cut (outward)command to resolve it.

> MartinShane.
I use the 2012 edition. If you would be so kind to post it, it could be of help in the future by discovering new and quicker ways. I think my solution was not at all the quickest!

> Rollupswx.
Thanks for the tutorial site. I never really used surface tools to create solids. will come in handy, since my project is not over yet.

Thanks for the tutorial site. I never really used surface tools to create solids.
There are a lot of even what looks like simple parts are more easily modeled with a composite use of surface and solid tools.

Those tutorials are a little old, for more up-to-date information get the book on surface modeling by Matt Lombard and search Google for DiMonte Group Curvy Stuff Ed Eaton. Also search for Mike Wilson SolidWorks and reverse engineer his files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back