Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reverse Normal Part Files? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoliverT

Mechanical
Oct 7, 2005
Can anyone tell me why part files open in the reverse normal state? (ie) solid holes and no part visiable.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not with that little bit of information...

Can you be more explicit about your particular circumstances? (version, any errors, etc...)

Check out CATBlog!

I opened my part file and the only thing showing on screen was a solid looking counterbore. The feature tree is there and when I double click on a partbody feature the geometry come up as a solid. In other words the reverse of what I should be seeing. When I click on a pocket, I don't see the part rolled back to that point on the tree, I see the pocket as a solid feature. I have opened other parts that open normaly. I recieve no error messages. I can swap visiable space and see all of the sketches and planes. Its like the part is a negative of it's self.

This is CATIA V5. Also I went back and clicked on Pad.1 and I did recieve an error message,(Feature definition error/This Handler is NULL)

OK - in the future, when asked for the version, we know that it's V5 - but you need to give the answer as V5R(something). You can find this info by going to Help -> "about Catia V5".

It sounds to me like the problem with your solid, is that you have somehow, unintentionally, gone back and retroactively assigned a value of zero to the pad.1, or whatever feature houses your counterbore. Or, there may be another error that causes the feature to not be recognized. These things can occur if you insert operations in the tree after initial creation, or if you accidentally delete something.

In my opinion, you should probably make a copy of this model, and then start tearing the copy apart, step by step, until you see something that you recognize. You may have to tear it apart forward to backward, backward to forward, or any combination of steps in-between. Hope your model isn't too complicated.

If you still have a problem, perhaps you could post an image of the model and the tree.

Check out CATBlog!

The only way I can think of to create your situation is if you put all your counterbores and other holes into a separate partbody, and do a boolean assemble (or remove) to the primary partbody. If you define the work object as your hole part body, then you'll see what you described.

Could this be the problem?

I'd also like to see a screen capture of your tree and the geometry

As jackk mentioned, in a second part body you can start with negative features such as holes. If you have done this type of modeling, is there a chance that the wrong branch of the tree is your Current In-work object? Can you post a screenshot here so that we can see what's going on?

Thanks for the help. The parts are proprietary so I can't post them here. Luckly I have a backup and can finish that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back