Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reverse rotation of centrifugal compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

curious cat

Mechanical
Jun 4, 2021
SG
Referring to
I would like to survey field operating experience , if the reverse flow of compressors phenomenon during shutdown is a fact or a myth conjured by OEM to market specialty products at premium cost.

bi_directional_xwnm30.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have experienced only one event that I can recall where a centrifugal compressor spun in reverse. My experience includes about 40 major compressor trains and more than 30 years. It is rare, but it does occur. For some positive displacement machines, it is common. We have one dry screw compressor that spins backwards almost every time it shuts down.

Johnny Pellin

Hi
Check the check valves. The outlet of the compressor has more pressure than the inlet, so, when you turn the compressor off, the flow gets back and rotates the shaft in the reverse direction. It doesn't make any problem for the compressor, but it shows an inner leakage through the check valves.

Gholam Baghery's comment is correct.

I usually see check valves installed on the discharge of the compressor. This should prevent reverse rotation of the compressor.

Although this is unlikely, it is considered in safety protection scenarios.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back