Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reverse Slug Catcher 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

plmpatel

Petroleum
Oct 24, 2012
CA
Hi I have serched on internet for long time but could not find what exactly I am looking for.

My issue is not liquid slug in the gas line but gas slug in the liquid line. Let me explain the situation little bit.
1) Mainly Liquid line with dissolved and entrained gas - which separates out on high point of the line.
2) Liquid line is 24" dia , 15 km long - residence time in the line is sufficient to separate gas from liquid and accumulate at high point. High point is about 10 kn from the facility.
3) High point is in middle of no where - no utilities available, no flare system etc
4) Separated vent gas could be sent to near by produced gas line. Liquid is not acceptable if selected to send the vent gas to this line

At this stage I would like to know capabilities of various vendorsand would like to know different kind of slug catchers you have designed/supplied.

I can provide more information.
Thanks
Paresh

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've recently written a paper on this subject (scheduled for publication in the November 5 Oil & Gas Journal). I'll post a copy on my web site after it is published. Bottom line is that 5 years ago several of my clients were having the same problem you are describing. I did an exhaustive search for a solution that left the vented gas at a pressure that could enter a gas gathering system. I had no luck so I invented one and filed for patent protection three years ago. I expect to be able to share the details on this device (called a GasBuster) sometime in the next few weeks.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Belief" is the acceptance of an hypotheses in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.

Hello/Good Morning,

Great work David, as usual indeed!

If you feel like kindly do share with us.Nevertheless you do deserve a pink star!

However just a small query has it something involving very high vents at various points of subject pipeline and gathering these vented materials at a central point for re-use or collection.

Basically the gas being higher in gravity than liquids; please confirm if I am conceptually correct in this connection! Or guide me otherwise.

Best Regards
Qalander(Chem)

The device removes virtually all entrained gas and gas slugs (it does not have an impact on dissolved gas, but that tends to be a pretty small number that is rarely the culprit in either high gathering system pressure or in outgassing at water disposal facilities). We've found that just getting the gas out at any convenient location prevents the problems (i.e., you don't have to set a GasBuster at the top of a hill, if you've removed the entrained gas and the gas slugs then there is no gas to accumulate at the top of hills). It uses a combination of retention time and centripetal acceleration.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Belief" is the acceptance of an hypotheses in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.

Dear David Hello/Good Morning,
Thanks again, it is even better and more refined professional approach worth admiration.

Best Regards
Qalander(Chem)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back