Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Revesring the Escalator Direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechathan

Mechanical
Aug 19, 2007
QA
I am to manage a complex building with Escalators and I heard that a consultant from the owner side asked the maintenance personnel to reverse the direction of the escalators to minimize wear and tear. I really cannot comprehend because running the escalators either way will still wear down the equipment no matter what the direction will be (up or down). Just wanted to verify if the conultant has a point in reversing the escalators monthly. By the way, he uses power plays since he has lots of connection from the owner. Thanks a lot.

Mechathan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The first thing that pops into mind is that things like gearing, when running, only wear one side of the teeth. By reversing it, you wear both sides.

When it comes to people-moving equipment, I would make no assumptions. Consult with the escalator supplier to verify that this is an allowable action. You could end up with a big liability issue.

Years ago I read one of those half-assed management books. It used the example of a new boss who showed everyone he was the boss by reversing the direction that the escalators ran. He did it just to prove he could.

Doesn’t the right escalator (as you face them from the bottom) always go up.

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Some escalators are reversed on a daily basis, for instance to cope with increased one-way traffic such as morning and evening commutes. That said, I agree with dvd, get the escalator rep to ok it. It could be your escalator isn't built for reverse direction.

Yup, the elevator from the right side goes up, as a general practice. We will get the escalator suplier if reversing can be allowed, but right now the design might fit in to a reversible operation. Thanks for all the help.

Mechathan

Better check your local building codes, too. If there is a law somewhere that says "thou shalt have the escalator on the right going up" then what you are proposing is a non-starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back