Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Revision block on multi-sheet drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCAD

Industrial
Jul 18, 2002
US
I need some advice as to which is the correct method to denote revisions on multi-sheet drawings.

1) Identical revison blocks on each sheet of the drawing containing all revision information.

2) Revision block on sheet 1 with all revision information and only the revision level denoted in the titleblock of subsequent sheets.

Also, can someone tell me the standard where the correct method is stated?

Thanks,
Louis

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Both are covered in section 7 of ASME Y14.35M-1997.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Thanks guys, I'm going to order this standard for our company library and we will generate drawings according to the standard.

Too many personalities involved here.

The catch is that both options are covered. Someone will have to make a decision since you cannot rely on the standard to do that in this case.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

I will push for the second option on the basis that we don't have to duplicate the same information. This will also work best with SolidWorks 2004. SW2004 will ensure that the revision level in the titleblock matches the latest revision in the revision block and the revision block is set up only to display on one sheet. In order to have the complete revision block on all sheets we will have to duplicate all the data which is extra work and increases the chances of manual mistakes.

Louis

At my company we use the "revision history on the first sheet only" and "all sheets are the same revision" method. The only valid reason (in my opinion) for a revision history block on all sheets is if you are allowing different revisions on each sheet. This was a common practice back in the hand-drafted days when a revision, even just text, was a relatively expensive proposition. Now that we have CAD, and reams-upon-reams of paper, changing all sheets to the same revision and replotting is not THAT big of a hastle.

I got our company to change its standard for revision information in drawings. The revision information block appears only on the first sheet and we now have a revision indicator in our titleblocks.

In SolidWorks the current revision level is linked to a custom file property that I linked to the revision indicator in the titleblock.

Previously we used an Excel table in SolidWorks with our revision information. We set this to show on all sheets. Our titleblock had no revision indicator to eliminate the chance of manual data entry error.

Thanks for eveyone's input.

Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back