Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Revision Letters vs. Numbers 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

KellyO

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2005
US
I cannot find standards documentation on pre-production vs. production revision labeling. Does ANSI standards state a lettering vs. numbering preference?

Thank you, this website has been very helpful!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not that we have found.

The only thing we have found is if you use letters, you skip I,O,Q,S,Z since they could look like numbers. We are adapting an Alpha revision scheme and ignoring the skipped letter preference; straigh A-Z, AA-ZZ.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

The closest I find is ASME Y14.35M. But it does not list anything about numerical revs. At the past few companies I worked at, numerical was always used for pre-production (preliminary) then was released at revision A. We still do this now and is accepted by ISO 2000.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP0.1 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site

The DRM 10th edition states...production release drawings to have letter rev's A, B, C ...pre-release drawings will have rev's as X1, X2, X3...

SWCADMAN

I just received an updated spec. X1, X2, etc are prelim/pre-prod/etc, - is for first released, alpha A,B,etc for production. This is industry standard and everyone should follow it.

Chris
SolidWorks 05 SP1.1 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site

Chris,

Thanks for the info. Now I have a valid argument why "-" is prefered over "A" for initial file releases. Our QA dept (which oversees the Document and Data Control dept here) recently changed our procedures from using "-" to using "A", and I have yet to see the justification for it.

Eric

I feel the same way. Our management for now will not adopt "-" because our customers, vendors and internal procedures are set up for "A". I plan on trying to change it this year to stay with the specs.

Chris
SolidWorks 05 SP1.1 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site

I found the paragraph that spells out revision sequence type.

ASME Y14.35M-1997
Section 5 Identfying Revisions on Drawings
5.1 Revision Letters
Upper case letters shall be used in sequence beginning with A and omitting letters "I"O", "Q", "X", and "Z". When the single letters have been exhausted, the revisions following "Y" shall be "AA", "AB" through"AY". Should "AA" to "AY" be exhausted, the next sequence shall be "BA", "BB", etc. Revision letters shall not exceed two characters. Initial issue of a drawing does not constitute need for a a revision letter and may be indicated by the use of a - (dash).

there is more, but this covers the basic principles.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Kellyo

For what it is worth.............

I have always seen letters for prerelease (design and design review phase) and numbers (starting with 0) for Issue for Construction (or Fabrication)

jjf

ewh,

The "may be indicated" didn't sink your arguement. What the spec says is that the first REVISION starts with an A. Initial release MAY start with a "-" dash.

In other words, initial release may be nothing at all, as in no information in the revision block. It does not say the initial release can be an A.

--Scott

For some pleasure reading, try FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back