Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Revision Manager Training Material 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KENAT

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2006
US
Is anyone aware of any Revision Manager training material such as a tutorial or even a presentation or something.

Our PDM/PLM efforts are stalled and due to our file structure we end up doing a lot of moving of files.

I know how to do it, and if need be can prepare something, but before I did I was wondering if there was already a resource? I did a google search but the one promising link I found was out of date.

Also SE Help is a bit sparse in information.

Below is one I started to prepare a while back, depending what resource I get I may create a FAQ.

Thanks, Ken

How to transfer full set of files with Revision Manager

Sometimes it may be necessary to make a copy of a complete set of files, for instance the top level assembly model plus all sub assemblies and parts and any drawings for these parts. The below process describes how to do this with Revision Manager.

Navigate to the folder containing the top level drawing. Right click on file and ‘open with revision manager’.

Expand all.

Select all.

Copy Document.

Set path.

Browse to folder you want clean copy in.

OK

Where Used.

Try to narrow the where used search to only folders you think contain the files, searching more folders than necessary slows it down a lot. Also under process options select only the types of files you’re interested in, typically only drafts and/or assemblies.

Next

Finish

Review the where used list, for any that say unchanged in the action column select and copy, remembering to set the path.

Perform Actions

You should now have copies of all the files in your desired folder.

If you’re unfamiliar with Revision Manager then I suggest you try this out on a small set of expendable files before going further.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Below is loosely based on the limited documentation SE GTAC gave me. I had to edit out file paths, part numbers etc and there were lots of screen shots in the original. I'm not sure it's error free but hopefully it helps.

Activity – Revision manager (revise and release an assembly draft & component part draft)

Overview
In this activity you will copy a draft of an assembly. You will then revise the draft,
assembly and a single part to a new location. You will then edit a part, update the
assembly and both drafts. When complete, you will move the files to an ECO folder.

Activity
Step 1: Using Windows Explorer or from within Solid Edge (File – Open) navigate to xxx-004-954 DOO-HICKY-WIDGET.

Right Mouse Button (RMB) click xxx-004-954-A.dft & select “Open with Revision Manager”

Step 2: A design change is needed to one part in the assembly. Create a revision
of the draft, assembly, the part that requires a design change and its draft.

Click “Expand All” to expand the assembly tree.

Select xxx-004-954-A.dft, xxx-004-954.asm & xxx-015-936.par using the buttons at the left of each column and the Ctrl key.

Click ‘Copy Document’ (or RMB ‘Set Action to Copy’)

For the purpose of this exercise select No on ‘Do you want to copy the linked documents?’ pop up.

Click ‘Set Path’ (or RMB ‘Set Path’)

In the pop up window browse to your Xfer. (Do not normally work in your Xfer as it old data gets delete regularly).

Click ‘OK’

In the New –Filename change xxx-004-954-A.dft to xxx-004-954-B.dft.

In the Revision Column change the revision for xxx-004-954.asm & xxx-015-936.par to B.

The actions to be performed for these 3 files are now set.

Step 3:

Select xxx-015-936.par

Click ‘Where Used’

Note that the folder that the part is in is automatically added in the used in window.

Click ‘Process options…’ and ensure only ‘Draft documents’ is selected.

Refining where to search and what file types to look at speeds the where used process.

Click ‘OK’

Click ‘Next’

Click ‘Finished’

xxx-015-936-A.dft will appear in a lower window in revision manager.

Select xxx-015-936-A.dft.

Click ‘Rename Document’ and set new file name to xxx-015-936-B.dft.

Click ‘Set Path’ and browse to your Xfer (should come up automatically).

Click ‘OK’

The actions for the part draft are now set.

Step 4: Click Perform Actions to apply the revisions.

Exit Revision Manager.

Navigate to your Xfer and you should see the 4 files.

Step 5: Make a design change to the revision part xxx-015-936.par.

Close and save the file.

Step 6: Update the assembly and draft files due to the design change.

Open xxx-004-954.asm Close and save the file.

Open xxx-015-936-B.dft.

Click OK on Drawing Views information box.

The box around the drawing lets you know that the view is
out-of-date.

On the Drawing Views toolbar, click the Update Views command.

Update the Rev Block.

Save the draft file.

Open xxx-004-954-B.dft.

Click OK on Drawing Views information box.

The box around the drawing lets you know that the view is
out-of-date.

On the Drawing Views toolbar, click the Update Views command.

Update the Rev Block.

Save the draft file

Step 7: The revisions have been made. Move files to an ECO folder.

Open xxx-004-954-B.dft in Revision Manager.

Expand the list.

Select xxx-004-954-B.dft, xxx-004-954.asm & xxx-015-936.par.

Click ‘Rename Document’

Click ‘Set Path’ and browse to:

XXYYZZ-ABC-01

Click ‘OK’

Select xxx-015-936.par

Click ‘Where Used’

Click ‘Process options…’ and ensure only ‘Draft documents’ is selected.

Refining where to search and what file types to look at speeds the where used process.

Click ‘OK’

Click ‘Next’

Click ‘Finished’

xxx-015-936-B.dft will appear in a lower window in revision manager.

Select xxx-015-936-B.dft

Click ‘Rename’

Click ‘Set Path’ and browse to:

XXYYZZ-ABC-01

Click ‘Perform Actions’

Browse to XXYYZZ-ABC-01 and verify the files transferred correctly.

Activity summary

In this activity, you learned how to copy a draft of an assembly, it’s model and one component part and its draft from The secure data archive. You revised the draft, assembly and a single part & its draft. When complete, you submitted the files to an ECO folder.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back