Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Revision Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badvoc27

Mechanical
Sep 1, 2008
NL
Hi first post here.
Some really good info, however I cant find an answer to my problem about Revision Manager.

Using version 19

We have an Assembly that has two sub-assemblies in it; sub-assembly1 and Sub-assembly2, both have four parts. Each assembly, sub-assembly & part have there own drawing file (.dft)

Now, sub-assembly2 is used in multiple assemblies, with me so far?

If a part in sub-assembly2 is modified all the assemblies and there draft files that contain that sub-assembly need to have there revision raised.

So in Revision Manager we have:
Top level assembly.asm
Sub-assembly1.asm
Part 1.par
Part 2.par
Part 3.par
Part 4.par
Sub-assembly2.asm
Part 1.par
Part 2.par (to be modified)
Part 3.par
Part 4.par

When a ‘where used’ search is done all the draft files are found for the above and also the other top level assemblies (.asm files) that sub-assembly2 is used in but not there corresponding top level .dft files. As all files are released, they have to be copied to a new revision this leaves behind the top level .dft files of the other top level assemblies.

Is there a way that when the other top level .asm files are copied there .dft files are also copied so we don’t have to open and copy all the other top level .dft files and use the ‘set action to replace’ the old top level assemblies .asm with our new revised copy .asm individually.

Why dose it find the .asm file but ignore the .dft attached to the .asm.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Bavdoc,
Welcome to the forum.
It sounds like you are doing a where-used on all the parts and assemblies listed, including your top-level.
However this will find where used for these files ONLY.
It does not do an upward 'nested' search. In other words it will NOT find the where-used of a where-used.
What you would need to do is go to a higher level that contains these assemblies and do a where-used from there.
I suspect that this may not be possible in your case, so you may have to continue as you are.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back