Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

revolved saw-tooth pattern 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMike1

Mechanical
Mar 5, 2005
CA
Ok this is part on my NPT part yesterday....

It's a fitting that screws into a hydraulic tank. 1-1/4" NPT on one end and a ribbed/saw tooth/knurl on the other end for a hose to get pushed on, and then fastened with a hose clamp.

I'm creating the whole part with one revolved sketch. It's the saw-tooth pattern that's causing me problems now. I'm defining the sketch with radius distances...ie: from my sketched center line. I'm typing in the numbers I want. But when it creates the part, the diameters are off by like .090".... I DON'T GET IT

Not to mention, I am specifying to overall length to be 3". PRetty basic right? When it creates it, I get a length of 3.079"....I mean WTF? I am usually quite good at this.

I've started over 4 times and it still won't work.

What could I POSSIBLY be doing wrong??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My guess is your sketch is an open sketch so the "Thin Feature" box is checked by default and adding material to the outside of the sketch. Does the feature say "Revolved-Thin" after you create it?

Uh... actually it does!

But the "thin feature" check box is under intensified and it would let me "uncheck it"...like you said.

But yes, thechnically my sketch is open. the profile I'm revolving definitely closed, but my axis of revolution is in the same sketch....(I thought that's how you were supposed to do it).

DOes my axis need to be in a different sketch?

Or wait... I see....I guess I should make tube a SOLID revolution and the cut the hole out after. I was trying to make it a tube all in one swell foop....

Let's try this again......

Thanks!

WOOHOO!! That was it...

Damn my CATIA v4 instincts........

Thanks! (I wish I could stop trying to do things like I would have in CATIA!

Glad to hear you've got the part done, but you should have been able to revolve the sketch "Catia" style.

Your axis should not be in a different sketch.

Can you post an image of the sketch you were trying to revolve ... faq559-1100 or upload the file for others to "play" with ... faq559-1177.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions faq559-1091

MMike1,

Make your axis Construction Geometry - then your profile will be closed and you can revolve as a solid, not a thin feature.

Dave Gowans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back