Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

rewind data

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmh13433

Computer
Apr 11, 2006
US
Does anyone know how I could find rewind data for a 3hp single phase motor, capacitor start and capacitor run? wire size, number of turns, and span?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You must provide data. At least all nameplate or nominal data, Manufacturer, Voltage, rpm, frequency, frame size, enclosure type, etc. Then bore dia, core length, number of slots, are all slots with the same area or size? Rotor OD, capacitors data. Your input is to vague for an answer.

basically we have had a single phase 5hp baldor running in our well pit almost continously for 30 years. It finally needed some work to the centrifical switch. I just want to do some experimenting with a 3phase motor that has the same number of slots(36) and rewind it to single phase to see how good or bad it works. I want to compare the winding data of a 3hp and 5hp single phase.
I looked on the Baldor website and it looks like the motor we have running in the well pit is 5hp, single phase, 215 frame, farm duty. The catalog number on the website is FDL3731M. I would like to have the data on a comparable farm duty motor like this, but only 3hp to compare. The website doesn't list a 215 frame for a 3hp, so I am not sure what motor it would be. I just know it has to be 36 slots.
Thanks

In that size it is usually cheaper to buy new than to rewind.
A problem with the three phase frame is the lack of a centrifugal switch. You may be able to install a centrifugal switch or use a potential relay or a current relay to switch the starting winding. This will add cost to an already overpriced project. If this is a "cost-no-object", "Do it yourself learning experience", please post your results. It's nice to know how things are working out, out in the field.
respectfully.

Hi SteveKW,

Is there a program I can get that will help me design the windings if I tell it the dimensions? I know ther are 3 phase software programs out there, but are there single phase?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back