Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rewinding a power transformer 1000KVA/11KVby 3KV 60HZ 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jemal Dawit

Electrical
Jul 29, 2022
ET
Dear all , I have three 3 Phase 1000KVA/11KV-3KV 60HZ transformers but I have a pump motor of 3 Phase 380V @50HZ I want to use these three transformer.
Please help me with your technical solutions.
How could I rewind to get 1000KVA(less) 11KV-380V(400V)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Congrats on posting the 500000th topic on eng-tips. A true landmark ;-)

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

Jemal Dewit: Use your favorite search engine to figure out how transformers work. First basic rule: the turns ratio is the number of turns on the primary side winding divided by the number of turns on the secondary side winding. This is the same ratio as primary volt to secondary volt. Second basic rule: the power on both primary and secondary side is equal (e.g. volt * amp on primary = volt * amp on secondary). This means that if turns ratio does not equal unity, there will be more current (and less voltage) on one side than on the other. This ultimately affects the cross-section of the conductor used.

So - the original transformer was rated 1000 kVA at 11 KV, which means the primary current would be 90.9 A. For the original design with a 3 kV secondary, the output (secondary) current would be (11/3)*(90.9)= 333.3 A (ideally). In practice there are some losses.

Now figure out where you need to be for a 380 V output.

Converting energy to motion for more than half a century

I’m pretty sure that the right transformer, new, will be less expensive and less hassle than a rewind.

I’ll see your silver lining and raise you two black clouds. - Protection Operations

How could I rewind to get 1000KVA(less) 11KV-380V(400V)?

There is no way for someone on a site called ENG-TIPS, with the emphasis on it being a tips site, to detail how to do this. Taking them to a professional shop and asking there is the best advice I can give you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back