Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rheology Information - No shear stress at shear rates > 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean_B

Mechanical
Dec 17, 2019
LA
I am a mechanical engineer working for a company who will be undertaking slurry pipeline design.

We have basic rheology information on the slurry however i am unsure why the shear stress does not increase until a particular shear rate. Has anyone struck this before?

Research on the internet has come up short, typically the fluids start increasing from zero or of course if they have a yield stress they start higher on the y axis.

I have attached typical non-newtonian curves:
Typical_NonNewtonian_Fluids_kjmkgh.jpg

And the supplied rheology information:
Rheology_Data_Screenshot_bnc3v0.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers
Dean

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Highly dilatant fluid which would require highly sensitive instrumentation to make meaningful measures at low shear rates?

rotw probably has the right idea. If you were measuring at mPA or smaller units, you might be seeing a more "normal" curve for a dilatant fluid. The fact that the curves follow a fairly regular path with regard to concentration after the instrument starts reading would imply to me that the material's properties can be predicted with the correct level of precision.

Andrew H.

What are the components of the slurry? If it is a form of "plastisol" is it possible that some curing is taking place as the shear rate is increasing due to a temperature increase of the slurry.

Thanks for the comments,

I have since been in touch with the company who produced the results. They have stated that the instruments used were not precise enough for the fluid and that rather than no data they put in zeros.

This would suggest a dilantant type fluid.

So they do have a threshold whereby any shear stress value that is lower than the threshold is set to zero by the program handling the acquisition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back