Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

RHS support strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

robyengIT

Mechanical
Dec 20, 2013
IT
any suggestion or previous threads (calcs, I mean) on RHS used as supports il truck loading ?

RHS_load_f6yh1v.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

By putting the power of Google to use, I found a similar question on this site, but unfortunately, it had zero responses.
(The AISC steel code has provisions for web crippling and buckling where you have isolated loads acting on the flange of a wide-flange beam. Logically, they should have similar requirements for rectangular tubes, but I can't get the current AISC code to download, so can't check it myself.

You can check the vertical legs by treating them as columns, check the horizontal part by treating as a beam spanning between the two sides. Both of those would be fairly approximate. Including the effect of corner radius would make it more accurate.

My guess: The primary mode of failure would be sidesway due to unintended lateral loading when you put the load on or off.

The attached sketch is how I interpret your diagram- if I'm missing it, please correct.
RHS_load_f6yh1v_rlcswr.jpg

Could you estimate the safe load by considering the shear capacity of a box section the same size as the short side of the rectangular box? The failure mode is pretty much the same and I don't think the longer length would make a significant difference...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back