Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ridiculous interview questions 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

haggis

Mechanical
May 18, 2002
US
What is the most ridiculous question you’ve been asked at an interview? What was your answer?

Here’s mine. I interviewed at a major auto parts paint plant and after the interviewer seemed to be satisfied that I qualified for the job, he asked me what motivated me most to get up in the morning and go to work. I enjoy my work, but who doesn’t have some bad days.

The answer I gave was that I had a mortgage to pay and a family to feed…..a pay cheque!
He looked dumfounded for a moment then asked was that all. I said no, I also get the satisfaction of knowing I’ve earned it.

He said he appreciated my candid answer, hired me and then told me I wouldn’t believe some of the answers he got to that question.

After I got to know him, I realized that had I said something like “for the greater good of the ACME Widget Co. the next candidate would have been brought in. A trick question? Maybe, but an honest answer benefited me that time.

Haggis

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When I was stumping for my first engineering job after college, I had a phone interview with a manufacturer of oil circulation pumps. The interviewing manager had a faxed copy of my resume, and I was at an employment agency's office. The interviewing manager says, "I see you used to be a machinist. Any idiot can run a machine. What else can you do?"

I ended that interview as quickly as possible, and told the agency I wouldn't work for that man until I was so starved that my navel was sticking to my spine.

But wait, there's more...

After telling the agency I was absolutely not interested, they set up an interview anyways! They pushed pretty hard, so I let them think I was going until an hour before the interview when I called to cancel.

wow, where were you interviewing? At a place that gets interview questions from this site?
see thread404-118635 ("why are manhole covers round?")

I'm not sure that I've been asked any really stupid questions - usually the ones that seem stupid were really intended to check critical reasoning skills or similar. I was once asked "how would you explain the size of a micron to a three-year-old?"

I was actually asked that exact question IN an interview.

Unfortunately my wit wasn't quick enough to say "the one you just asked", but I definitely have the answer if I ever get it again.

"What year did you graduate high school?"

Oops. That was before the interview. Weeding out question. Over 40, don't apply.

On second thought, one guy wrote an equation on the blackboard and told me to find the Eigen values. Eigen who? I guess they did me a favor by not offering the job.

"If I give you a piping-hot cup of coffee and a chilled container of cream, and you want the mixture to be as hot as possible 15 minutes from now when you will have a chance to take your first sip, should you mix them now or later, just before you sip?"

Note that this was in an interview for a postion as a Facilities Engineer (Electrical) at a university.

I answered that I could give him a verifiable answer in 15 minutes if he'd loan me a thermometer and a second cup.

I didn't get the job, and neither did I learn the answer to the question. I haven't ever taken the time to do a heat-transfer-over-time analysis. It just didn't bother me that much....

Old Dave

I was asked, "So tell me about MadMango (real name)?"

I wasn't sure how to reply, so I replied as if I was making a dating video. With a straight face I said, "I like long walks on the beach, cheesy horror movies..." After everyone got a good laugh, the interviewer clarified his question.

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

LOL - Only engineers from the Mid East and Far East know what an Eigenvalue is.
When I was in college, we engineering majors cowered in fear in the back row of the higher math classes. The instructor said very first day: "I know you engineering types may not grasp this, but at least show some interest, and I will give you at least a "C".
Another math instructor would always say, as he was handing out test papers, "There will be many casualties on this test"

After half an hour of chat I was asked why I wanted to be a Project Engineer. I answered, I don't.

Never trust employment agencies to find you the right job.

corus

Usual questions when interviewing Big Corporation:

1) "Where do you see yourself 5 years from now, 10 years from now....",etc.
2) "Tell me a little about yourself..." or, "So tell me about <insert your name>" - as MadMango described.

Usual questions when interviewing small consulting firm:

1) "Can you start tomorrow? We are swamped!"
2) "I really can't afford to pay you that. If we select you, we can discuss a salary increase after 3 months".
Footnote to 2):
Hah! It will never happen. You will be lucky to get an assigned parking space.

I asked about my assigned parking space on my first day. My mentor said, "If you're so f_____g important, you damn well better be here first!"

;---

Showed a print that said something like "N detectable flaws allowed per unit volume", was queried, "What is the acceptable number of _un_detectable flaws?"

Mike Halloran
NOT speaking for
DeAngelo Marine Exhaust Inc.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

Of course, if you can't detect them by any means, then they're never going to cause a problem, so you can allow an infinite number of undetectable flaws.

Mike Halloran
NOT speaking for
DeAngelo Marine Exhaust Inc.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

I had an interview once and the manager seemed to look at me weird and acted like he wanted to ask something but wouldn't. A couple weeks later he finally asked me, "Your last name, what nationality?". I told him German. His eyes got big. He said "If I new that when I interviewed you, I wouldn't have hired you!". (He was British, his secratary was Scottish and the owner was Irish)
I quit a couple months later.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP1.1 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site

Stupidest question I remember "If you were changing the wheel on your car and lost the wheelnuts down a roadside drain, what would you do?".

I'd seen the answer in a mag the week before. Still didn't get the job.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

A technical question I was asked was What would happen if you lit a match in space. I said it'd go out as there's no air. This bleedingly obvious reply was the wrong answer it seems and I never got the job, thankfully.

corus

That's a shame. Even in the presence of oxygen it would still go out, if there is no gravity. No gravity = no convection=match gets surrounded by its own exhaust as it burns.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back