Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Right to Repair - UPS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkmunsie

Mechanical
Apr 3, 2006
US
This is a follow-up to the last thread that I posted...for those of you interested in Right to Repair issues, check out this page.
Hopefully some of you will be able to avoid the trap that I fell into.

Thanks for the heads up.

Dan

Who else manufactures competitive products?

We had a similar problem at my last employer. After-market service people were making programming changes, then we got the blame when other equipment was damaged as a result. We considered forcing people to call us for a lock code (we didn't have a national service org.) so we could at least be aware of something other people were doing. Instead, I came up with a plan of recording the last 10 changes saved in an inaccessible EEPROM memory block. That way we had a record of whatever someone else did, but only had to deal with it IF there was a problem.

If I can think of that, other people can, so IMHO that would confirm there solution as a money grab.

JRaef.com
Eng-Tips: Help for your job, not for your homework Read faq731-376 [pirate]

Or use a rolling code system if they want the ability to at least keep track of service. You call them for an unlock code (free)... a web service would be easier. They aren't required to actually do any work at that point. Once you access a code, it rolls onto the next, similar to what the KeeLoq systems do for car alarm remotes.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back