Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Right turn steering lead on crown roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

frick14

Mechanical
Jul 27, 2011
US
I am fimilar with rack and pinion steeing, but not the fine points of suspension components.
A perfectly balanced and symmetrical steering gear wants to drift to right turn on a crowned road.
What in other suspension components could I look into to prevent this?

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I agree with Mike. If you set the car up asymmetrically to correct for irregularities in the road surface, those irregularities are "dar dar irregular". instead of predictable pull toward the low side, it will sometimes pull to the high side if the high side is less than the correction you built in.

If you must, a slight change in castor will pull to one side. I forget which way you do it.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

As Pat says, cross castor is/was used on new vehicles to compensate for the average crown in the market. Nowadays your EPAS system learns what the average crown is and kindly takes that awful effort from you.

You could use cross camber, I suppose.

Incidentally your vehicle will almost certainly have come with tires that generate a sidepull in their own right (conicity and plysteer).

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back