Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rigid Body Dynamics: The situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

themaniac

Aerospace
Sep 8, 2003
AU
Rigid Body Dynamics:
The situation is an aircraft performs a manouver which involves rotation about all 3 axis. The result of this manouver is that any point offset from the center of gravity (CoG) experiences an acceleration that is the combination of the linear accelerations of the CoG and a component due to the rotations about the CoG.

If the aircraft is defined using a standard right-hand coordinate system the equations can be located in any number of dynamics texts and is usually given by:

[a] = [a]CoG + [w] X ([w] X [r]) + [alpha]X[r]

[a]- Acceleration at offset point
[a]CoG - Acceleration at center of gravity
[w] - Angular velocity about center of gravity
[r] - Distance offset from center of gravity
[alpha] - Angular acceleration about center of gravity
X - Cross product

If however the aircraft was to be defined in a left-hand coordinate system would the above equation still apply.

Now, I know that this is the type of question we were all asked in the first year of our engineering studies but that was years ago and i'm just a little rusty on these things.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So long as all the axes were consistent then the equation would hold. That is rotation around z axis would be positive if it was from x to y, etc.

There is no inherent physical basis for choosing rh or lh coordinate systems , for this particular job, so far as I know.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Would the Acceleration equation be:

[a] = [a]CoG + [w] X ([w] X [r]) + [alpha] X [r] + 2 * [w] X [rdot]
In place of:
[a] = [a]CoG + [w] X ([w] X [r]) + [alpha]X[r]

T

astroclone,

From my understanding the equation you have posted is correct. The difference is that yours allows for the radius between the center of gravity and the point of interest to change (thus the 2 * [w] X [rdot] term). This of course goes to zero if the distance is fixed, reducing it to the equation i originally posted.
Naturally feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back