Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rim board and sill plate misalignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

met33

Materials
Apr 9, 2024
US
In terms of construction tolerances, how much misalignment do you generally find to be acceptable between the outer face of the rim board and the outer edge of the sill plate?

I have a house under construction, and the outer face of the 1.5" x 14" LSL rim board isn't flush with the outer edge of the 2x6 sill plate (see photos below). The rim board extends beyond the sill plate by 1/4" up to 1/2" along much of its length.

This is a single-family home, raised floor system, on concrete stem walls. Seismic design not required, but wind loading is somewhat significant (130 mph exposure C) with deep porch overhangs.

I'm primarily concerned about the effect of the gap between the wall sheathing and the sill plate, as it relates to edge nailing the sheathing to the sill plate (will the nail capacity be reduced? Will nailing across the gap cause undue bending stresses on the bottom edge of the sheathing? etc.).

I'm trying to find a practical way to mitigate this misalignment issue. So far, all I can think of is to shim out the gap with 1/4" thick strips of treated plywood, and perhaps increase the wall sheathing nail size to 10d ring shank.

Secondary concerns are gravity loading and uplift connectors. Simpson DSP brackets were going to be used to connect the rim board to the sill plate, for uplift resistance. However, due to the misalignment of rim-to-sill, the DSP will not achieve its full load rating. Shimming with plywood might help, somewhat, but the load rating will still be unknown.

rim_sill_003_hcpkmx.png

rim_sill_000_gxm1hs.png

rim_sill_001_memy0k.png

rim_sill_002_sy139u.png

rim_to_sill_nailing_spufrs.png

rim_to_sill_DSP_hj4w9o.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back