rim flange design/dimensions/specifications in correlation with balance weights

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeztikA

Automotive
Feb 18, 2015
NL
Hi,

Who knows where I can find specs (dimensions and measurments) of the different rim flange designs?
Is there a correlation between the different rim flange types and the different types of balance weights?

Thank you in advance!

Alex

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is a very problematic area. The common alloy wheel weights from Schrader et al are designed for some profile, but at least when I was involved, nobody knew what. At the same time working to T&RA rim profiles it is easy, and indeed necessary sometimes, to design a flange shape that doesn't suit the wheelweight.

So to cut a long story short we shadowgraphed a bunch of wheel weights, and then developed a rim flange profile that progressively opened the clip (they yield, so don't rely on them closing again).

Things may have improved in the last 20 years, I doubt it.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Greg,

So this would mean that I could "copy" the J(ISO) contour (or JJ etc....) and for most balance weights this would mean they fit on the countour's flange?

Alex

Look at the spec SAE J1986. In it you will find design for C, P, T and MC type flange. Sadly, this spec is far from a complete picture of all possible flange styles (you'll be missing AW, EN, FN, IAW & LH to name just those), and it is next to impossible to acquire information on all types of wheel out there.

Mekada,

I already found out about SAE J1986, but unless you buy the PDF you can't get any info on this topic. Plus the fact that I don't know if J1986 holds the info which Im looking for!

Thank anyway!

Alex

First, TRA (The Tire and Rim Association) does not specify the rim contour where the balance weights attach. TRA only deals with the interface between the tire and the rim. Nothing else is specified by TRA.

So, having a TRA yearbook will do you no good if your goal is design a wheel so that clip on weights fit.

I do know there is a correlation between the contour of the outside of the rim flange (the part TRA doesn't specify) and the shape of the clip on weights. There is a code for the weight that corresponds to the contour of the weight and there are charts listing the manufacturer of the vehicle vs the weight code. Obviously that only works for the OEM wheel.

I did a quick look and I see that Myers Tire Supply has a gauge that can be used to select the right weight code of the wheel.

On further looking, I see where SAE has a handbook for wheel standards and included in that is balance weight and rim flange design. I suggest you start there.

CapriRacer,

Thanks for your insight on the topic. The SAE handbook you were referring to is the SAE J1986.

I find it very odd that one can find every detail and aspect of a rim, like dimensions and specifications of the hub and valveholes, but nothing on flanges.

I really would like to see some detailed profile/contour of a balance weight.

Anyway...it seems that the balance weight industry does not want their information out in the open.

I work (at least I did, I'm switching job Monday...) for a wheel weight manufacturer. The reality we see is that wheels from different OEM and after market are not closely following the standards, and that's when standards are available at all. The name of the game is to find the wheel weight that most closely match the wheel flange or, if you are a big enough client, we design a new wheel weight to your specs. Trust me, we would LOVE to have the wheel follow strict standards. It would make our job so much easier.

Obviously, I cannot simply post the SAE spec on here but I can tell you that it does contain the recommended detailed width, thickness, radius, etc of some flange types (P, C, T & MC, as mentioned in my previous posts) as well as the recommended wheel weight dimensions (gap, radius, etc).

Alternatively, if you want to PM me I could open a channel of communication with my colleagues and see if you would like to work directly with them to find out the proper dimension for the wheel weight flange.

Mekada,

If I could get detailed info on width, lenght, thickness, radius etc.. of the most common wheel flange types, I already would be very very happy.

Got no idea how to PM you here, So here's my email: alexkitzen@gmail.com

Thank you in advance!

Regards,

Alex

Just being curious: what will be your new job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back