Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rip Rap on Stream Bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cher122976

Civil/Environmental
Mar 16, 2009
US
For a personal project I am looking to rip rap a stream bed in my yard to prevent future erosion. I can calculate max flows in the stream (4' wide btm/2' deep/2:1 side slopes) but does anyone have recommendations on how to use that max flow to size the rip rap needed? Anyone have any links on ideas on how to place the rip rap?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

HEC-15 might give you a rip rap size vastly in excess of what you're expecting. For a personal project such as that, I recommend picking a relatively small design storm.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

Agree with beej67. If you use a larger return event, you're going to end up with boulders in your backyard if you're using FHWA. If you have clayey soils you may consider looking up the Garry Gregory method. Unable to post a link at this moment, but I will try in a bit.

Alternately, your state might have an erosion control ordinance with a design manual that you could follow. Those are typically less beefy than a HEC-15 design.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

Not sure how close to your dwelling the aggr. will be.....large river rock (6-8") looks really nice, and works well also.
Not sure about your budget....a paved section with placed rock on top also looks great and is more stable if velocities are significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back