RISA 3D - Hard Panels 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esteban6112

Structural
Oct 26, 2019
US
Hello,

In many cases the widths of walls do not comply with the NDS' width aspect ratio. I believe RISA 3D has the capability of customizing properties of materials for design. That being the case I want to use products such as Simpson Wood Strong-Wall, Steel Strong-Wall, or Hardy Panels in my RISA model.

Do I find the mechanical properties of the Simpson or Hardy Frame panels and insert them in the "Materials" properties?

OR

Is there a way to insert in spreadsheet style all of the allowable values for resisting lateral loads of these products? (the same way as for Wood Panel Shear Walls or Holdowns all ready in the RISA software).

Thank you for your time engineers!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The options for these types of products are limited:

Option #1: Use some customized plate / shell elements with non-isotropic properties to mimic the various stiffnesses of the product.... This is actually how RISA-3D internally handles wood shear walls. Using some properties for axial compression of the wall, others for shear. However, I don't believe they allow the users to manually create non-isotropic plate elements. Honestly, even if they did, this is a pretty complex modeling effort. Even power users could easily make mistakes.

Option #2: Use RISA's pre-built wall elements with various studs and shear panels and such. Unfortunately, this won't work because RISA will automatically de-rate the stiffness of panels that violate the NDS aspect ratio limits.

Option #3: Probably the only one that will work. Use a frame element to mimic the strong wall. This requires converting the wall stiffness into a moment of inertia, cross sectional area and shear area factor. But, that's pretty much the only way I can see to do it.

Note: It is possible (though probably unlikely) that RISA could add a feature for this type of wall in the future. I know the development staff is up to the task. The main problem (as I see it) is that they don't have any engineers left who were around when they originally developed the wood walls. Therefore, I'm not sure I trust them to understand how to modify the existing elements to work properly for these products.

Thank you @JoshPlum

It is a shame that the option is not available.Hope they can figure that out.

I will try your third suggestion for the mean being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back