Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Risa 3D Steel - Concrete Column 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think RISA can design this type of column. Not sure though, while I still consider myself a RISA "expert", I haven't really used the program in the last 5 or 6 years.

I don't think RISA 3D can do it. RISA Section can get properties for you, however.

What is the purpose of filling the HSS with concrete? Are you looking for increased capacity or fire resistance?

Part 4 of the AISC Steel Construction Manual has tables for axial strength of concrete filled HSS composite columns.

Here are a few links that may help you. Take a look at AISC 360 Chapter 1 as well, it goes over the design of composite members for axial, flexure, and shear.

thread507-519354

Hi JoshPlumSE and EngDM,

Thank you for your help! I am working on designing for increased capacity. Do you have any example problems that I can refer to?

GTrinh97 said:
Thank you for your help! I am working on designing for increased capacity. Do you have any example problems that I can refer to?

I've never designed that type of column. Typically we just use a larger wall thickness or larger column. If you go the composite route you need to make sure your concrete actually makes it all the way down the column and fills all voids. The labour and coordination involved may not be worth just specc'ing a larger column.

Is it a space requirement?

I haven't done that type of composite column myself. But, I have been working on some verification / documentation (for ETABS) recently about it. I uploaded a one of those files below:

That being said, I just realized the best spot to get this calculation is the AISC Design Examples (Version 16) which is the solution that we were comparing the ETABS results to.

The design examples I'm referring to are from Part I - examples I.4 through I.6.

Hi EngDM,

That's great advice! I'll definitely consider that.

Hi JoshPlumSE,

All the information you shared is perfect for me to start. I will give it a try and let you all know my solution!

Thanks!

The Steel Tube Institute has a great new article, as well as a reference guide for concrete filled columns, which includes some software recommendations. They also have a spreadsheet design tool for filled and unfilled columns, available to professional members. Here are the links to each of those resources:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back