Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

RISA 3D - Steel Stud compression calcs not agreeing with Bailey Metal Products load tables

EngDM

Structural
Aug 10, 2021
CA
I have looked aroung this forum for a thread going over a similar problem, but to no luck.

I am trying to re-produce some of the values in the Bailey Metal Products load bearing studs table, using RISA 3D to get a bit of a start on code references. However, I am getting nowhere near the strength that Bailey is reporting, using the same assumptions as them (braced at 1220mm).

Has anyone ran into this? I thought perhaps that it was because they clasify the wall as sheathed, but I'd imagine that would be reflected in the 1220mm bracing anyways. RISA 3D does not code check steel studs when modeled as a wall panel so I have been doing it as single members.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should be able to dig into the calcs ("Detail Report") and see exactly what numbers it used for the capacity calcs. I'm not familiar with CFS calcs in general nor how RISA handles them, but it should tell you exactly what it's doing, and you can see where your numbers diverge. My initial thoughts are that you are not accounting for the in-plane restraint for a stud, which fully supports the stud along the weak axis. You can either change the weak axis design parameters in RISA or setup a new model with, say, a total length of 1ft, and see if the numbers agree better.

Back