Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Risa Wind Load Case 3 and 4 ASCE7-05

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stazz

Structural
Oct 22, 2008
US
How come Risa 3D doesn't generate wind load cases for case 3 and case 4 in ASCE-7-05 Figure 6-9.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Stazz -

Two things:
1) The program already generates the wind loads for those cases. In fact those cases are really lust a linear super-position of the two directions of the Case 1 or Case 2 loading.

What I mean by that is that case 3 is just case 1 applied in both directions and multipled by 0.75.

2) Prior to version 8.1 of RISA-3D, the Load Combination generator did NOT automatically produce Load Combinations that were consistent with Case 3 and 4. That is what you are really saying. Therefore, the older versions (8.0.3 and earlier) would require the user to add in a load combination that included both WLX and WLZ to get their case 3.

However, version 8.1 did add in this option. We added another check-box to the LC Generator that says "X & Z w/ Quartering winds". I believe that will produce what you are looking for.

Now, it's just a matter of when the majority of the users will get the update.... They are shipping now, so I'd imaging that you'll be getting it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back