Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

RISAConnection going to offer HSS members in Moment Connections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCox

Structural
Dec 6, 2010
US
Andrew and/or Josh,

Is RISA intending to incorporate HSS columns into the moment connection designs within RISAConnection? I am doing more of these type of connections (WF Beam-HSS Column) and it would be helpful instead of designing by hand.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I used to be the project lead for RISAConnection. However, it's been a couple of years and I'm not as up to date on the development plan. Especially now that I've left the company! Caitlin over there is the one to check with now. She should have a good idea what the plan is and how likely they are to actually achieve the plan.

It used to be that my goal for each release was the following:
a) The main new feature for that release (whatever it was).
b) Add at least one significant advancement for HSS connections.
c) Convert one group of connections from AISC to CSA (Canadian code).

My belief is that's still the goal. I believe they've added HSS column options to a number of the connections for recent releases. I think they have HSS to HSS moment connections now. It's HSS to WF moment connections that it's currently lacking. If I remember correctly, next up will be HSS columns cap plated with a WF running over the top. Then (perhaps at the same time), a continuous WF column with an HSS end plate bolted to it. Essentially the same connection, but from different perspectives.

The challenging thing for RISA is that two of the three most experienced connection designers (Matt and myself) have left in the last 6 months or so. Leaving Caitlin a little overloaded. Therefore, I would not be surprised if development slowed down a bit. Sometimes the developers themselves can take lead on a particular feature. They're certainly smart enough. But, that tends to lead to QA/QC issues because you don't get enough sets of eyes looking at the feature from the point of view of a practicing engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back