Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rising main siphon/antisiphon loop name 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

swazimatt

Civil/Environmental
Aug 19, 2009
NZ
on rising mains they sometimes end by doing a vertical loop of about 10m up then down. there is a specific name for this that i found when researching pumping downhill, but now i cannot remember what it is and cant find it on google.

it has a specific term and i seem to remeber it being named after someone, like faraday loop (but not this). Can anyone help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is definitely not a common practice. It was something i cam across when i was looking at a pumped siphon system, but as it was not what i was looking for i didn't read about it. I have just seen one in real life and wanted to know why thy used it, but cant find it. Will take a photo of it and post it. May make it clearer

Here are some photos as i drove by. the photo's are from the road and the pipes are at the top of the overpass

IMG_9139_kqihbz.jpg

IMG_9140_lsiq8q.png

Difficult from a photo, but looks a bit like an anti surge device which allows air into the pipe when it stops but retains a minimum head in the pipe so preventing the pipe from emptying and giving the pumps something to pump against.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

They are vertical expansion loops. If you have a lot of similar sized pipes then vertical loops are used. I don't think anyone would do work in a section between loops without clearing the whole section.

To add to LittleInch's comment, the device will also eliminate siphoning when the piping is installed over a high point in the pipeline.

bimr said:
the device will also eliminate siphoning when the piping is installed over a high point in the pipeline

Makes sense, I assume the smaller pipe connected to the top of both pipes is connected to an air valve or air vent then?

I will continue looking for the device neam, maybe it is anti-siphon loop, but all googling of that results in small diameter plumbing

Actually that link is maybe not accurate.

I think this one is more accurate in that the whole idea is that you don't have a vacuum valve to let air in, you just let the water itself create a vacuum which cannot create a syphon.

It would though rely on the normal settle out pressure of the pipe on the upstream side being essentially atmospheric pressure or you would need to add the incoming head to the 35ft / 10m of the loop height.

It is a pretty cheap and simple way to prevent a line draining flat without using valves etc, but then you have a rather high loop to build...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back