Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rising stem gate valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

sowhatso

Mechanical
May 9, 2007
PS
Dear All ,

I have two questions :

For buried application , is it OK to use Rising stem gate valve ??

Can we install rising stem gate valve with actuator , is it standard to connect the actuator with rising stem gate valve or actuator is only working with non rising stem gate valves ??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

By "buried application" are you burying the valve or the pipeline (i.e., will be valve be in a vault or valve can)? You can do either, but without a valve can you need a special bonnet that lets the remote actuater spin without contacting dirt and accomodates the rising stem. I've never seen one of these, but then I don't bury gate valves in my practice (they're rarely the best choice for gas applicatons).

Yes, they make multi-turn actuators in both pneumatic and hydraulic for gate valves. Most are fail-as-is because it is difficult to store enough energy to close (or open) a valve 50-150 turns on a failure of motive power.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

The harder I work, the luckier I seem

This is very common for our company. You can install a spring or double acting linear pneumatic or hydraulic piston actuator on the buried gate valve using a threaded coupling block that pulls instead of turns. You can use the media in the pipeline to provide the operating pressure for the actuator. (many control possibilities)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back