Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Risks Associated with Upgrade of Industrial PC in SCADA Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy2times

Electrical
Jun 26, 2007
AU
I am assessing a proposal to upgrade all server and workstation computer hardware (pc, graphic cards and also ethernet switches) in a SCADA application.

This is due to obsolescence and will also have benefits in performance from the operator perspective, screen refresh etc.

So this is just hardware update.

I would like to now the risks associated with this upgrade, any recommending mitigations and validation process.

I found quite a good reference here but was hoping to inform myself further.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

jeez... It could go smoothly or not at all.

If you're talking going from XP to Windoz 10 it could be very bad with older software.

At the very least I'd setup a new computer as an observer and get all the software installed and running perfectly in observation mode before I completed the proposal.

Keith Cress
kcress -

Its probably a reasonable expectation that despite being 'just a hardware upgrade' that an attempt to load older operating systems on it will result in driver issues, as the newer hardware will likely not be supported by the older operating system. Newer operating system may not work that well with legacy software either.
If that's the case then itsmoked's suggestions are a good idea, although its never a good idea to attempt to verify updates and changes on production systems anyway.

I would do a test box like smoke said. Get your standard hardware and all the software loaded up and stick it right besides one that is being used in plant. Leave on floor for a month and ask people to use it first if they have problems have them write a ticket report either thru your system or create a work file on that drive to hold all problems. Then they can use the older workstation right beside it. Then with all ticket problems review the system for improvement, when you think its good enough implement plant wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back