Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rivet Bearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutboy17

Feb 6, 2003
US
My question is concerning the method of calculating rivet bearing loads on the parent material for a countersunk rivet. First off, is it usually calculated or does the countersink make it not as critical as shear load? How is the contact area calculated for a machined, dimple, or double dimple application?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi, gutboy17.

Some opinion.

1. Bearing area is calculated as defined, i.e., projection of the rivet.

2. Of course, the countersunk head reduces the bearing stress compared to the protruding head rivet. There is no direct relation between the bearing and shear strength. It is important to remember that it is a bad idea to design a joint to fastener shear strength.

3. The best advice is already given by rb1957 - use so called "Joint Strength" tables in section 8 of MMPDS. (Now revision 04 is effective, get it from the internet, MIL-HDBK-5 is now history). This is the proper way to deal with riveted joints.

true enough, but you have to buy MMPDS-04 (yes ?) and the data is exactly the same as MIL-HDBK 5 (which is still available for free) and you might just be able to find MMPDS-01 on-line for free. it'd depend on what the reviewer/checker/approver wanted as a reference.

We have on file MMPDS-04 and also MMPDS-04 CHG 1 (the CHG 1 was sent to us as a separate file, not incorporated into the main document). This is the most current version I have seen but I could be behind a change or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back