Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

RO Water Treatment Plant 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elsawwadi

Mechanical
Feb 26, 2022
LY
Good day, I have a question and I hope to get a response from experienced engineers :
The daily consumption of treated water for a hospital = 100 cubic meters / day. We want to install a reverse osmosis water treatment plant consisting of two production units. Should each unit be designed to produce 100 cubic meters / day, or should the daily consumption be divided between the two units, with the possibility of stopping one of the two units for periodic or emergency maintenance.
Thank you very much,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depends on your storage system and whether the flow rates can be reduced during maintenance.

This is the difference between 2 x 50% or 2 x 100% units.

Most plants work on an N+1 at least for critical equipment.

So either 3 x 50% or 2 x 100% or 4 x 33.3 is usually the results of a Reliability and Maintenance Study (RAM) which tells you what the reliability and maintenance is against your reliability figure. Only you can decide what this number needs to be, but for a hospital I would have thought you are looking for >99.5% availability of water.....

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thank you very much LittleInch[/b] for the explanation and clarification,the capaciy of the produced (treated) water tank is: 320 cubic meters

That's quite big and will give you a daily supply during outages a for a few days.

But you then really need to mkae your RO plants able to work harder then to catch up and refill the tank so a max production of say 140 m3/day at 100%, but normally turned down a bit to say 80%

Only you can decide which is the most cost effective but still meeting the system performance requirements.

For me, a hospital water system is a critical requirement and hence needs more than 2 x 50% units....

Difficult to answer without knowing the use for the water and availability of spare parts and service technicians.

Water use: Domestic use (drinking water - kitchen - laundry equipment - swimming pool - bathrooms - toilets - no industrial use of produced water), spare parts and service technicians will be available.

It's still your decision, not ours.

You're showing as Libya location. How easy is it to get spares for your RO system?

I would be going 2 x 100% or 3 x 50%.

But I'm not paying the bill.

for pump delivery to rural clinic storage in Eswatini (Swaziland)(and storage in general) I used to use 8hrs to refill (ie ADF/(8/24) which would allow for maintenance, power cuts etc and refilling the tank after periods of down time. From memory the clinic storage was 3xadf. (with duty and standby)
This is effectively 3x100% and as mentioned previously it depends on location and accessibility of spares, contingency plans etc. I would base your treatment plant on these factors, not the worst case scenario (zombie appocalypse) but more the likely events (pump failure, maintenance, power cuts etc)

Failure at my clinics would take considerably longer to be repaired as it would involve public tender and multiple hoops to get parts supplied, but the contingency plan was water delivery by water cart, which are generally operating in the rural areas anyway and a reasonable backup plan. In developed countries, this may be more of an issue ... 3rd world vs 1st world problems

It would also help to know how much daily, weekly or monthly variation in those water demand numbers. If there is considerable variation either side of the 100kl/day you may able to get away with 2 ROs smaller than 100kl/day with one running continuously using the capacity in the large storage tank to ride over periods of higher demand. ROs will generally work better operating for longer periods than short stop start cycles. It will also save on membrane preservation chemicals and various flushing activities.

However only you can ascertain the demand variability.

Regards
Ashtree
"Any water can be made potable if you filter it through enough money"

i cant agree more with the proposal: 3 x 50% or 2 x 100% or 4 x 33.3 from LittleInch. Also, i am pleased to offer you RO system, we are professional water treatment equipment supplier from china, let me konw if you are interested in us. whatsapp:+86 18167269357

A Reverse Osmosis (RO) water treatment plant is a sophisticated system designed to purify water by removing impurities, contaminants, and dissolved solids. Here's an overview of how RO water treatment plants work and their importance:

1. Filtration Process:

RO water treatment plants utilize a semi-permeable membrane to separate impurities and contaminants from water.
The process involves applying pressure to push water molecules through the membrane while blocking larger molecules such as salts, minerals, and pollutants.
2. Removal of Impurities:

RO systems effectively remove various contaminants, including bacteria, viruses, heavy metals, pesticides, and dissolved solids.
This results in purified water that meets high-quality standards for drinking, industrial processes, and other applications.
3. Multiple Stages of Purification:

RO water treatment plants typically consist of multiple stages of filtration, including pre-filtration to remove larger particles, sedimentation to settle suspended solids, and carbon filtration to remove organic compounds and chlorine.
The final stage involves passing the water through the RO membrane for thorough purification.
4. Benefits of RO Water:

The purified water produced by RO systems is free from harmful contaminants and impurities, making it safe and healthy for consumption.
RO water is also preferred for various industrial applications, including pharmaceutical manufacturing, food processing, and boiler feedwater.
5. Efficiency and Sustainability:

RO water treatment plants are known for their efficiency in removing contaminants while conserving water.
These systems can significantly reduce the need for bottled water, minimizing plastic waste and environmental impact.
6. Customization and Scalability:

RO water treatment plants can be customized to suit specific water quality requirements and production capacities.
They are scalable to accommodate varying water demands, from small residential units to large-scale industrial facilities.
7. Maintenance and Monitoring:

Proper maintenance and regular monitoring are essential to ensure the efficient operation of RO water treatment plants.
Routine cleaning, membrane replacement, and water quality testing are necessary to maintain optimal performance and prolong the lifespan of the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back