Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Road Load Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

MStiller

Aerospace
Sep 20, 2007
US
Does anyone know where I can get some general road load data? There was a study I saw a while back of a guy that put WFTs on his car and drove around for 10,000 miles or so and posted the data, but I can't seem to find it.

I'm trying to design/spec bearings for use as our wheel bearings, and I'm trying to get a better sense of the loading scenarios so that I can take all of the assorted loads/speeds into account.

If anyone has a better idea of how to go about picking wheel bearings, that would be appreciated to, but the vehicle these are for is very light weight (1400 lbs GVWR), and we want to size the bearings for this weight, not have oversized bearings that are heavier than they need to be (weight is crucial for us)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

WFT loads will be of indicative use only unless he happens to be using the same size tires, same weight car, and same suspension setup.

I'm astonished anyone would put a million dollars worth of hardware on their car and log 24 channels of data for a few hundred hours.

Quite simply your bearing manufacturer can tell you exactly how to size your bearings, based on 100 years of experience and data. If you are using taper rollers then Timken have a rather thick book on it.

Incidentally most modern production cars use hub units rather than individual bearings, that takes most of the fun away.

You could try contacting Loremo and see if they are willing to discuss their approach.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back