Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roadway Stormwater Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick023

Civil/Environmental
Dec 4, 2008
US
I am having trouble finding the correct method to calculate the stormwater capacity a curbed road can have without overtopping the curb. The roadway is 26' face to face of curb with a 2% straight crown.

All I can find is information on calculating capacity up to the top of the crown on one side of the road. In my situation, I am looking for the capacity of the road in the situation where the crown of the roadway is submerged and the flow is allowed to reach the top of the curb.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Nick

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How is this possible when I essentially have 3 geometric shapes making up the cross section.
(1) Triangle area from the top of the crown to the face of the curb on the left side of the roadway.

(2) Triangle area from the top of the crown to the face of the curb on the right side of the roadway.

(3) Rectangle area across the entire roadway from the top of the crown to the top of the curb.

I can calculate (1) and (2) using Q=0.56(Z/n)*s^(1/2)*d^(8/3) from mannings and add the capacities together but how do I calculate the capacity for area (3)?

Assume two triangles of 0.26' height up to the crown of the road and a rectangle 26'x 0.24' above the crown for cross-section area. Calculate flow Q, at a minimum slope of 0.5% and then at each integer per cent slope and graph for a reusable flow characteristic for roadway section flowing full.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back