Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Robots vs solar/cosmic radiation ? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rb1957

Aerospace
Apr 15, 2005
CA
I'm reading a bunch about robots in psace, particularly assembling structures in space. How to protect against solar and cosmic radiation ? Is it like HIRF protection for airplane electrical circuits?

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's what I expected … to "ruggedize" satellite electronics (outside of the van Allen belts) is not QED. We've obviously done it so it's not That difficult … just the cost of doing business in space.

The two major costs are
> IC design -- different processing, guard rings, etc., means that any high-performance processor is essentially set back a couple of generations. Even the lowliest logic gates would need to be hardened
> testing -- gamma ray, x-ray, etc. very expensive, since there's only a few places that have the radioactive sources.

Shielding adds weight, which adds to launch costs.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

I guess one way of looking at it is that on the surface of the earth we have an enclosure with 15 lbs./sq.in. of mass shielding us from radiation on one side, much more on the other).

Some COTS electronics are used on the International Space Station. At the LEO altitude of the ISS the Earth magnetosphere still provides a lot of shielding. The COTS electronics allowed do not perform critical functions, and the astronauts can change it or do without if it should fail.

I was thinking more about deep space … like Lunar Gateway, or transiting to Mars. As I thought about I realised we do that now … so hardening isn't unheard of.

No, it's pretty common, actually. And, since the magnetosphere doesn't make it to the Moon, any lunar probes get the full effect, although they get shielded as they go around the backside of the Moon.

The oldest functioning Earth/Moon probe appears to be ARTEMIS The oldest functioning satellite was GOES3, which operated for 38 years

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Want to read about radiation hardening?
Go to Jupiter.
JUNO
That link is a bit basic, but may provoke searches that deliver more detailed info.

There is a mil-spec for EM shielding. Maybe there's one for radiation shielding. Well, no - I'm sure there is one. But "Maybe" it's publicly readable on ASSIST.

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
STF

itsmoked said:
Ah. I wonder if any have suffered premature failures rationally attributed to radiation.
Looking on the internet there is a lot of info on cubestat and radiation. Mostly on anticipated effects and radiation testing. Some seem to have employed some rad-hard electronics apparently to reset the commercial electronics payload in the event of an upset.

I did find this list on nanosatellites: If you click the "view fullscreen", in an expanded database list you will get a column with a simple statement of end-of-mission failure and date. Most seem to have attributed failure to reentry, power systems, or batteries. I guess you can't know if "loss of communications" or other reason is actually due to radiation.

Cosmic rays are the most energetic, and it's reported that the majority of those are not originating from our Sun.

For radiation from our Sun, in this context we finally have a chance to use the phrase 'dark side of the Moon' in a precisely correct manner, but...

"...shielded as they go around the backside of the Moon."

:)

"...shielded as they go around the backside of the Moon."

Where the satellite is safely protected from radiation from the Earth.
Eg. Fox News broadcasts.

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
STF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back