Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rod Ends and Spherical Bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.

womble

Mechanical
Nov 11, 2001
GB
Hi Guys,

I currently use NRE rod ends and spherical bearings for some fabricated suspension parts I design/make. I've had no real issues with them but I was wondering what manufacturers other race car builders use. So, who's your favourite supplier? What bearing types do you use and why? Have you had any issues with quality or longevity that were the fault of the bearing? Do you use just one supplier or several?
I would like to see how good some other suppliers are, always handy to have some alternatives :)

Stef

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most of my components have been for my own Track Day car. I have done work for other people but my daytime job prevents any serious work in this respect.
Good website you linked to :) Prices don't seem too bad...

Stef

I usually use aerospace quality bearings for off-road race cars. They are strong and the Teflon lining does a fairly good job of keeping dust and moisture out. Non-lined bearings last anywhere from 3 to 10 hours or so before getting loose enough to affect things. Road racing is much cleaner but dust/life/cost ratios may still be worth looking into.

Here is a good supplier for lower quantity orders:

Of course, SKF, FAG, and Torrington/Timken would be good choices, although they are more for high quantities.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Aurora Bearing is an excellent company to do business with. Although I buy in small quantities for the most part, they give me an OEM discount.
I have been using their bearings in my suspension products for 14 years and have never had a failure.

Their racing performance line of bearings are built to mil spec and are very consistant dimensionally. They manufacture a complete line from commercial grade to areo space.

Their technical support and customer service are very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back